Ingredients (serves 4)
- 1.5 kg oxtail pieces
- 500ml Organic Beef Broth
- 400ml red wine
- 1 carrot
- 1 celery stalk
- 4 shallots
- 4 crushed garlic gloves
- 400g diced tomato
- 1 bay leaf
- Sprig of fresh thyme
- 2T plain flour
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Season flour with sea salt and black pepper, and dust the oxtail pieces with it.
- Remove fat from top of the broth with a spoon. Add it to the pan and use it to brown the oxtail, adding olive oil if needed. Once browned, set aside in casserole dish.
- Add diced carrots, shallots and celery to the pan drippings, and fry on a low heat until soft.
- De-glaze the pan with the red wine. Then add the beef broth and tomatoes, and warm through.
- Add this to the oxtail, along with the bay leaf, thyme and garlic.
- Cover and bake on 150C for 3½ hours, or until tender and falling away from the bone.
- Season with flaky sea salt, freshly ground pepper and fresh chopped herbs.
Great with toasted sourdough or potato or parsnip mash and sautéed green beans!
Handy Tip… Beef Broth (with the fat layer removed) has a mild flavour and is great for use in baking.